About the EKR Foundation
The Elisabeth Kübler-Ross Foundation is 501(c)(3) non-profit organization inspired by the life of psychiatrist, humanitarian and hospice pioneer, Dr. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross. The Foundation was begun one year after Elisabeth’s death by her son, Ken Ross. Over the course of the last fifteen years, EKR Foundation chapters have been created on four continents that continue her mission to develop hospice, palliative care, and grief support. In 2019, most of Kübler-Ross’ archives were donated to Stanford University which will create a digital library to make her papers available to the public.
Dr. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross, author of the seminal book, “On Death and Dying” published 24 books, in 43 languages including: Armenian, Bahasa, Hebrew, Malayalam, Mongolian, and Urdu. In her expansive body of work, she discussed care and support for the seriously ill, their families, the grieving and all who struggle with the effects of loss. Over 10 million copies of her books have been sold. Though Elisabeth is often described as the “death and dying lady” or the “creator of the Five Stages” she often referred to herself as the “life and living lady”.
It is in the spirit of embracing all of life, which includes death, that we further the mission and vision of Elisabeth through the work of the Foundation that bears her name.
The Foundation participates in initiatives and collaborates with individuals and/or organizations that:
- Enhance compassionate care for the seriously ill and/or the dying
- Further the acceptance of death as a part of life (versus those that see death as a separate event apart from life)
- Enhance end-of-life care for special populations (such as those involved in hospice or palliative care for children, within the prison environment, or those living in remote populations or in developing countries, etc.)
- Improve access to properly prescribed pain management medications as part of the end of life process
- Enhance communication surrounding all aspects of end of life care and compassionate care of the dying (and those that love them)
- Foster awareness of the power of unconditional love and forgiveness as an important component of one’s life journey
- Enhance compassion and understanding of those who are grieving regardless of cause or origin
- Further the wishes of the end of life patient while respecting his or her right to humane treatment and compassionate care
The Elisabeth Kübler-Ross Foundation achieves its goals through participating in the provision of the following:
- Connection and collaboration (individually or through large scale partnership opportunities)
- Advocacy Support (including participation in legislative issues)
- Resources (including the sharing of Elisabeth’s published work)
- Education (via technology, professional educational forums/presentations and through community engagement initiatives)
- Support (through our network of resources we act as conduits for compassionate care)
- Developing international EKR Foundation chapters that continue Elisabeth’s teachings in keeping with local needs, customs, and focus on under-served populations.
The Elisabeth Kübler-Ross Foundation works internationally.
Elisabeth’s message was universal, crossing and including multiple cultural, religious, and multidisciplinary fields. As of 2020, the EKR Foundation has international chapters in the following countries: Argentina, Belgium, Chile, Colombia, France, Guatemala, India, Japan, Mexico, Peru, Switzerland and Uruguay. Several new chapters are being planned over the the next few years including Spain and Portugal.
Mission Statement: The EKR Foundations mission is to enhance compassionate care for the seriously ill and or dying and to further the acceptance of death as a part of life (versus those that see death as a separate event apart from life) through our work in partnering, supporting, providing availability of grief resources and education in compassionate care.
Please follow us on Instagram at: #elisabethkublerrossfoundation
Our latest tax form 990 has been filed in accordance with federal and Arizona state regulations and is available upon request.